A little over three years ago my husband lost his oldest son, 42, to ALS, aka Lou Gehrig’s disease. His gusto for doing his normal things around the house has been diminishing ever since. Definitely understandably. A few weeks ago he said, half in jest and a bigger half in seriousness, that he wanted some “give a sh–” for his upcoming birthday. I’ve been thinking about that request ever since.
I finally decided to make him some ‘playing’ cards with different thoughts on the back. I’m pretty happy with the outcome but I’m also surprised how difficult it was to make the cards the size I wanted. I used the retired My Digital Studio to create the background for cards and then printed his chosen theme (he doesn’t know he chose it yet) for the name of the cards. I looked online for some varied thoughts, none too serious, none to frivolous, some that fit right into our life style to attach to the reverse side of the cards.
This is the card base that I created using My Digital Studio, Embellishments: Designer Kits Dropping You a Line, Text for card front: LD Beatnik font.
I had to print and adhere the quotes to the cards since my technical skills for front and back printing–in proper positions–are nil. I used the Project Life Corner Punch to round the card corners. He’ll probably never notice that soft touch.
Quotes Font: Marker Felt
- I look to the future because that’s where I’m going to spend the rest of my life.
- Whether it’s the best of times or the worst of times, it’s the only time we’ve got.
- When you’re thinking that I’m thinking of you, I’m thinking you’re thinking of me.
- We all have baggage, find someone who loves you enough to help you unpack.
- I can make the doorbell ring any time I want, all I have to do is go to the bathroom. << This is so Russ! When I’m away from home I can make the phone ring when he’s in the bathroom!!! He says I must have a secret camera for my timing “skill”!
- I like life. It’s something to do.
- Enjoy your life thoroughly, the same way you wash your clothes.
- How can you make sure you never miss your target? Shoot first, and whatever you hit, call it the target.
- mystery trip: date to be determined, but soon.
- fishing date close to opening day
Tomorrow I’ll share the great little gift box I made using the Gift Box Punch Board.