I love to personalize my handstamped cards for my recipient as well as tell a bit of a story. My daughter and her family moved to Boise, Idaho last year so they could all enjoy the fresh air and all that went with the fresh air and open spaces. Making a love the outdoors anniversary card for them was a no brainer. They love to bicycle as a family so I pulled out two stamp sets: the new Enjoy Life stamp set and the tried and true Sheltering Tree stamp set.
I used lots of bright and summer-y colors for this card.
Here are the bits you’ll need to know for creating your own bike ride card:
Rather than using the traditional Whisper White card stock, I used Glossy White card stock on the card front. Why? Because it will very nicely blend the colors that I applied to the stamped layer with the Sponge Brayer.
- How to use the Brayer??? Roll it over the Balmy Breeze stamp pad, lift it up, return to the edge of the stamp pad and roll over again, lift it up, repeat repeat repeat……at least 12 times. Lift. Roll. Lift Roll……. Be sure to overlap your rolled lines as you work your way down the piece of card stock. With repeated rolls across the page, the lines from the roller will disappear. First I brayered Balmy Blue classic ink on the top 2/3 of the Glossy White layer. Then I brayered Granny Apple Green classic ink (or Pear Pizzazz) on the lower third of the layer, being sure to roll over the Balmy Blue ink to blend the two colors.
- When you’re done with the Balmy Breeze, roll the brayer over scrap/grid paper several times (like 20—that’s not a typo), turn the Glossy card stock around 180 degrees, and then repeat the pattern for picking up the Granny Apple Green or Pear Pizzazz classic ink. The Balmy Blue color will not transfer to your Granny Apple Green or Pear Pizzazz stamp pad.
- Next, the tree from the Sheltering Tree stamp set:
- Tree trunk: Soft Suede classic ink
- Leaves: Mossy Meadow, Old Olive and Granny Apple Green classic inks
- Grass: Granny Apple Green classic ink
- Using the grassy piece from the Enjoy Life stamp set, stamp the middle area first, re-ink image, and then continue stamping to the left and to the right.
- From the same stamp set add and ‘odd’ number of flower type ‘weeds’, adding a bit of dimension.
- Bicycles: From the Sheltering Tree stamp set stamp two bicycle images (wheels/seat/pedals/handlebars) using Basic Gray Classic Ink.
- Then add the bicycle frames: one using Blueberry Bushel classic ink and the other using Lovely Lipstick classic ink (or any colors of your own choice!)
- Add a few butterflies from the Enjoy Life stamp set. I used Highland Heather, Mango Melody, and Pumpkin Pie classic inks.
- Finally, using a 3/4″ Circle Punch, punch out a circle (this will be your mask) from a piece of computer type scrap paper. Lay it over your card front where you’d like the sun to shine, and sponge Daffodil Delight classic ink inside the punched out masked area. Remove the mask and you’ll have some sunshine on your scene.
- Card front layer: Granny Apple Green card stock, cut 8-1/2″ x 5-1/2″, scored at 4-1/4″ and firmly creased.
- TIP: Fold your card stock away from the groove created by the score line. Generally, your inclination is to fold the mountain side of the fold to the outside but……not for a card front. Always fold the card stock away from the valley or grooved score line.
- Next layer: Soft Suede card stock, 5-3/8″ x 4-1/8″.
- Top layer: Glossy White card stock, 5-1/4″ x 4″
- INSIDE: Whisper White card stock: 5-1/4″ x 4″
- Stamp greeting from Enjoy Life stamp set, using Granny Apple Green classic ink
- Stamp Happy Anniversary from Beautiful Bouquet stamp set, also using Granny Apple Green classic ink.
- Stamp a few butterflies (one for each of the Anniversary couple) near the greeting to add a bit of ‘eye candy’.
- Stamp some grass at the bottom to add a touch of extra interest as well. Use the grassy image from the Enjoy Life stamp set and Granny Apple Green classic ink. Stamp only the tips of the grass so you don’t overwhelm the layer
You can get your own supplies for creating this card or one similar to it by clicking on any of the images above in the PRODUCT LIST area. Each one will take you directly to my online Stampin’ Up! store. If you haven’t already, create your own account selecting me (moi) as your demonstrator. I’ll be here to support you whenever you have an issue with your order or your card creation. I sincerely hope you make your own love the outdoors anniversary card — or birthday card or simply a hello card. Just change the greeting. Such versatility! 🙂