I moved from a rural mountain community (Mi Wuk Village) in central-eastern California to Boise, Idaho just over a year ago. And I left behind a dear friend and neighbor who supplied us with fresh eggs from his chickens. We were also daily walking buddies. His birthday is coming up and yesterday I made his “going all out” birthday card to commemorate his chickens and his birthday.
As I clean off my desk today, these are the supplies I used (and am putting away!):
Because of my sense of humor and playfulness I held on to my Hey, Chick, wood mounted stamp set from Sale-a-bration 2017. It was free with a $50 purchase. It was brought back with this year’s 2021 January – June Mini Catalog where the Hey Birthday Chick stamp set was introduced. (p. 52) It felt really good to be stamping with a much loved wood mounted image! I also pulled out everything but the kitchen sink to build this card. I was looking for humor, reality and content. And I just realized I need to add two dogs on the inside of the card to fill out the recipient’s ‘family’.
The Hey, Chick Bundle, which includes new dies, OR the Hey, Chick cling stamp set alone, OR the Chick Dies alone, are all available until June 30, 2021. They are not shown in the Mini Catalog but you can see them by clicking the links in the previous sentence or looking at the supplies used above. (That wood mount Hey, Chick stamp set is no long available but can be purchased in the cling version. Great for using less storage space!)
Here are the how-to tips for my card for Gregory:
- Basic White card front: 8-1/2″ x 5-1/2″, scored at 4-1/4″ and folded in half.
- Bermuda Bay Oh So Hombre printed paper: 5-1/2″ x 4-1/4″, attached to card front with Multipurpose Liquid Glue.
- Basic White card stock layer: 5″ x 3-3/4″
- Run through the Stampin’ Cut & Emboss Machine and Stitched with Whimsy dies, using the next to largest rectangular image
- Blending Brushes for gently ‘smearing’ on (top to bottom) Bermuda Bay, Granny Apple Green and Crumb Cake Classic Inks.
- Scraps of Basic White, Garden Green, Granny Apple Green, Soft Suede, Crumb Cake, Bumblebee, Copper Foil for stamping and die cutting and layering onto the card front
- Dimensionals for attaching Happy Birthday sign, balloon-bearing-chicken
- Multipurpose Liquid Glue for attaching all other pieces and layers
- Inside: Stamp greeting using Bermuda Bay classic ink and the funny chicken using Memento Ink. Color it (him? her?) in using Stampin’ Blends, Markers or Watercolor Pencils / Watercolor Pencils Assortment 2 of your choice.
I almost forgot his ever-there sidekicks, Colt and Ruger:
And that’s the story of Gregory’s birthday card. We might have moved away but we haven’t forgotten our friends in the community we left behind.
Do you like these crazy chicks? Will you be placing an order today? Or how about Colt and Ruger, the dogs? They came from the Pampered Pets stamp set (and dies). If so, please use the monthly host/ess code when prompted at checkout to earn free products from me. If your order is $150 or more, no need to add the code so you can earn your own hostess rewards! Thank you so much for supporting this small business owner!